Posts Tagged ‘debur’

Still prepping fuse parts

August 29, 2011

20110827-114118.jpg

For your viewing pleasure here’s the boys enjoying the Blues over Lake Washington earlier this month. As for the project, i’ve been working on it I swear. It’s really just a 1000 little tasks without much visual payoff so I’ll spare you the pics of pretty countersunk holes in a neat little row.

I’m still slowly working through all the final steps before starting the riveting on the main fuse. I’m excited to see if I got a the puzzle pieces made correctly! All the deburring, dimpling, and countersinking including the longerons is done on the internal structures. I’ve primed about 2/3 of these parts. The left forward fuse pieces still need to be etched and primed. The skins still need to be prepped but that should be kinda fun as imam trying to “eat my vegetables”‘first. Also, I have to go back and find a solution for one hole I doubled drilled on a bulkhead. After that I’ll be reassembling the canoe! Work is going to take over this week so hopefully I can hit it hard next weekend. I’m aiming to flip the canoe this fall and order finish kit before the end of the year.

Advertisements

The Skinny

February 5, 2011

Today was focused on finishing all the center section parts. First, the baggage ribs with the undrilled holes were fixed and dimpled. Then I spent most of the afternoon getting the huge 776 skin prepped. Reaching to debur all those holes makes for a sore back. Thankfully prepping all the edges is more zen-like. Finally, in between family movie night (Despicable Me) and mom and dad movie night (The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest), the center section bulkheads were dimpled.

Up next is dimpling the big skin and cleaning all the parts for priming.

Ribs and Things

February 2, 2011

Tonight I was able to finish up deburring all the holes from match drilling the center section together. In addition I dimpled all the ribs including both 623s and the attach straps. There’s a bunch of little random parts I need to keep an eye on when it comes time to prime everything as they are easily lost.
I goofed on both 727 baggage ribs and missed match drilling every other hole. I need to reattach and match drill when I get the skin down to prep it for final assembly. After some debate I decided to prime the inside of the skin. Never know when that drink might spill.

Parts Prep

May 31, 2010

I am starting the dreaded edge prep, deburring, and dimpling of the aft fuse parts. Nothing exciting to report other than I missed match drilling 3 holes on the floor pan.

One final note regarding the match drilling. I didn’t like how some of the holes became elongated near the tail end of F-779. I decided to drill and ream the holes out for 1/8 flush rivets instead of the standard 3/32 flush rivets. I’m including picture showing where I am talking about exactly. This was a very difficult area to get to line up even with the pre-punched parts so take your time.

I’ll be spending the rest of the Memorial Day weekend near Anacortes. I’ll pick it up again Monday night. Hopefully I’ll get some decent weather this week so I can get some priming done.

I will be using 1/8 rivets in 8 spots total way in the back underneath the tail. I doubt any will notice the different size rivets unless I point them out.

Center Section Drilling

May 3, 2008

050308_f_03

050308_f_02

Tasks Completed:

  • Matched drilled and deburred holes for F704 A,B,C,D parts.

Finishing Firewall Drilling

February 24, 2008

Tasks Completed:

  • Finished drilling stiffeners and gussets to firewall
  • Drilled spacers, doubler and L/R F601J
  • Disassembled firewall structure for deburring and countersinking

Deburring and Servo Mount Drilling

November 14, 2007

Tasks Completed:

  • Deburred all the left elevator parts
  • Match drilled servo mount brakets to coverplate

NOTE: The measurement in Drawing 5 for the edge distance for the outboard servo bracket was off by about 1/32″. After checking on VAF, I found a number of folks with the same comment. I shifted my mark and drilled the coverplate.

E: Deburring, Dimpling, and Riveting

November 4, 2007
  • Rechecked and deburred right elevator parts as necessary
  • Riveted nut plates to E615
  • Backriveted left elevator skin
  • Bent trailing edge of left elevator skin

Note: My original backrivet tool from PlaneTools.com went TU. That’s about 3 tools from them that have made it into the trash. So far Avery and Cleveland tools are holding up well. 

E: Dimpling and Deburring

October 31, 2007

Tonight I researched whether to dimple or countersink the E702 for riveting the E709 rib in place. It seems even though the instructions explicitly state to countersink, most everyone dimples both parts because it’s much easier and in an inherently stronger bond.

  • Dimpled E702 and 709
  • Deburred E702 and 709 

Note 1: I cut my spare micro-countersink cage down so that it would center over the outside holes at the end of the 702 spar and still clear the flange. I didn’t end up using it as I decided to dimple this part instead. I am sure though this will come in handy on tight spots in the future. Note 2: The price of getting the cage cut down is that I most likely ruined my bandsaw blade. 

E: Dimpling, Skin Prep, Etc.

September 30, 2007

–Dimpled left elevator skin–Drilled/deburred new 720H stiffener–temp built right counterblalance structure–Began deburring let elevator skin edges